I had super duper plans tonight, and I cancelled them. I was feeling anxious about a work project, and I realized that if I had kept my plans, I would have remained anxious, and in all likelihood been super weird and tense and all up in my head. And that’s not how I want to be – especially around other people. I want to be cool, and fun, and laidback, and today I was absolutely NONE of those things until I took a solid self-care break.
And today’s self-care looked like:
- Having the uncomfortable conversation about cancelling plans WITH the person I had said plans with.
- Getting my work project to a solid stopping point in preparation for a client meeting tomorrow. I feel very good about the design I created, and the 42 loose ends I tied up.
- Talking with a friend.
- Unpacking my new standup paddle board in preparation for launch.
- Going down to the lake, realizing it was pretty choppy, and going for a swim instead.
- Picking up a 5 gallon bucket of trash from the beach.
- Grocery shopping instead of going to the bar.
- Making myself dinner.
- Showering. Including washing my hair.
- Sitting down to Good Omens Season 2 with pistachio ice cream.
- Going to bed early.
Usually one or two of these acts of self-kindness does the trick, and allows me to shift my mindset. Today, I needed a bit more, and I am glad I was able to see that before I crashed.